As the weather gets colder and the days get shorter, the health of your vehicle’s brakes becomes even more crucial. Between holiday traffic congestion, the threat of snowy weather and black ice, the roads are full of unexpected hazards that might necessitate jamming on the brakes at any moment.
Poorly maintained brakes put you at a distinct disadvantage in those situations, and they put you and your passengers at an increased risk of accident and injury!
At Auto Glass Fitters, by providing windshield repair services throughout Bucks County, PA, and the surrounding region and filling this blog with helpful driving tips, we try to keep vehicles in proper shape for travel and keep the roadways a little bit safer.
Toward that end, here are some common warning signs of brake trouble that should never be ignored.
- Dashboard Lights — One of the more obvious signs of trouble with your brakes is an illuminated brake warning light. Don’t pretend you don’t see it!
- Strange Noises — If you hear grinding, scraping, or screeching when you apply the brake, that’s a clear red flag that your brakes need repair.
- Burning Smell — Overheated brakes must be allowed to cool; boiling brake fluid can lead to total brake failure.
- A Wobbly Feeling — If the car starts wobbling when you’re braking, that’s typically evidence of worn-down brake rotors. If the car pulls to one side when you brake, it’s probably a bad brake caliper.
- Longer Braking Distance — When you hit your brakes hard, the car should come to a complete stop. Get them checked if it’s taking the car too long to respond to brake application.
- “Soft” Pedal — The brake pedal shouldn’t sag all the way to the floor when you press on it with your foot. You should feel some resistance. If not, steer your car to the repair shop immediately!
If you notice any of these issues occurring, contact your mechanic right away. It’s tempting to brush off what seems like minor signs of wear and tear in your car and carry on with your busy daily routine, but you just can’t afford to drive around with substandard brakes — especially in the wintertime.
If you find yourself with a cracked or chipped windshield at any point in the winter season, don’t ignore that, either! Call Auto Glass Fitters for mobile windshield repair services in Paterson, NJ, or anywhere you might be traveling, coast to coast!